Monday, August 15, 2011

August 16/It's official! We are family!

Today we went back to the Guangdong Civil Affairs Office to file the official adoption paperwork with the Chinese government.  We met with the registrar, the notary, and had a family picture taken.  Lorelei got a bit upset before taking the photograph (perhaps she was not sure about the high chair in the room?) and she withdrew into a corner and didn't want to talk for a while.  I have to admit....  I was scared.  One of the things she was supposed to do is sign her name when they ask her if she wanted to be adopted and come to America with us.  (And for a few minutes... I wasn't sure what she would do.)  Both Chris and I were sending up some prayers!  As it turned out, a sticker book that I brought with me was just the thing to restart the communication.  After that, she was back "with" us and she did great.  By the way, her handwriting in Chinese characters is just beautiful!
Our official family photo! (For the government--only parents and adopted child)
The Williams Family: Chris, Jennifer, Lorelei, & Kyle
Afterwards, we went with our travel group to Carrefour to pick up some supplies to help us make it another 8 days here.  Carrefour is a bit like Walmart, just divided into different floors.  Lorelei didn't know what to make of it at first, but then she caught on that what was going in the cart, was coming home with us.  The other families were there for strollers, diapers, formula.... us, we ended up with jump ropes, snacks, and swimming pool toys! 
Yes, the carts go up and down the escalators!
We are loving the emails and comments on the blog.  We can feel the love and support from here... you all are the best.

7 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you all. I have to admit the pictures brought tears to my eyes so I can only imagine how you all are feeling. Enjoy the rest of your travels, be safe and looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

    Karen G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to see you all together! As one of the many APs who followed Lorelei's story, I am thrilled beyond words to see her with such a wonderful family, acting so happy, bonding so well. Bless you all during your stay in China and in the days following your return home!!

    Faith
    thompsontreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The latest posts and pictures have been so joyful and a wee bit teary to read. Its been such a privilege to get a glimpse of this journey -- thank you. You are a beautiful person, and the family is gorgeous! Everyone have such a beautiful, contagious smile and I'm smiling 12K miles away! :D

    The Johnson family is so thrilled for you all. Lilly is so excited to have a new friend. We have prayed for this very moment and are so excited to witness the hands of God at work. With much love, Lorri and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. To everyone,
    It is so good to see all of you together. You look like you have always been together. I can't wait to see that beautiful girl with you. May God be with you on the rest of your trip and it be even more enjoyable with your new family member. God speed. Joyce B

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are thrilled for you! Your happiness shines through. It is so wonderful to see all of you together as a family of 4. You are in our thoughts and prayers. We cannot wait for you to get home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Williams! We are so grateful that you have been able to update the blog... it has been nice to know a little more about how things have progressed and to see the wonderful pictures! I teared up seeing the first pictures of your guys as a family of four - knowing how many prayers were answered for that to become real. You are in my thoughts daily... Hugs to all of you, and tell Lorelei we can't wait to meet her! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been so busy with my China story that I haven't checked your blog until today. How AWESOME! God is amazing. Already making plans to meet your beautiful daughter next summer. Can't wait!

    PS: Gotta love Carrefour! Don't know what we'd do without it. :-)

    ReplyDelete