Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A beautiful day

The day is finally here... the day to introduce our daughter, Lorelei Anxiang. It will be several months before we are with her in China, but her presence in our family is already very much felt. She is amazing.... brave... kind... creative... all of this we know from the people who have met her. We are incredibly blessed to be her family.
(In case you haven't noticed, this is my first blog post and it's harder than I thought it would be to put all of this into words!)



Those of you who have walked with us on our adoption journey for the past five years know about the child we thought we were waiting for. A daughter, "as young as possible," no significant special needs. But there are some big truths to be found in the waiting process... we learned that there are more "waiting children" (older or with special needs) in orphanages there now. We learned that our idea of who our daughter is much more open than we originally thought. We learned that God definitely has a plan for how this story would unfold.
Last fall we let our adoption agency know that we wanted to be considered for a child with special needs, and then we started looking at children's profiles. Those of you who have been through this know that it is a roller-coaster emotional experience. We asked about a few children, but each time they had already been chosen by another family. Chris said it was a little bit of heartbreak each time... letting our hearts open to the possibility of finding HER (all the while having to say "no" to children whose needs were too great for our family).
A few weeks after Christmas, I found her picture on the blog of an organization--Love Without Boundaries--which supports orphan care and medical treatments in China. There was just something about her that touched my heart. When Chris saw her picture, he immediately said we needed to find out more about her. I think he knew right then that she was our daughter.

Since that day, there have been moments of joy... questions... concerns... excitement... uncertainty... and finally, the very certain knowledge that we are her family. We enter into this new part of our journey knowing that there will be both incredible mountaintops and challenging valleys ahead, but we can't wait to see what amazing things HE has in store for all of us.

Now for the details.... She is 10 years old and in Guangdong province in southern China, not far from Hong Kong. We are currently waiting for our immigration paperwork (here in the US) to be completed, which hopefully will be done by April. Then China will give us TA (travel approval) to come there and our adoption agency will plan the trip, which should take 10-14 days. We hope to travel by early summer.

I will update here as we hear more news! Thank you for your friendship, love, support, and prayers as we continue on this journey.




8 comments:

  1. oh, jennifer, she is beautiful! i'm so happy for you all. can't wait to follow you as you get closer to meeting her. we're waiting on uscis as well but will be much farther behind you as we don't have our dossier to china yet. so glad you're doing this blog! julia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I can not tell you how thrilled I am that this sweet child is coming home to your family! Truly an answer to the prayers of many people around the world that her family would find her and bring her home. I would love to see her face when they tell her she has a family!

    Looking forward to meeting you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sweet Jennifer, I am so happy to hear your joyful news and absolutely love your blog. It will be a blessing to share in your blessings - thank you for your open heart and best of luck on this exciting journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is such a beautiful girl and you will be blessed beyond measure, I'm sure, for following the call to bring her home!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am absolutely so excited to find out that you are Xiang's family-to-be. I heard that she was definitely chosen right before Spring Festival, and sent word to the orphanage immediately. Within a few minutes I had a reply back that it was the most blessed news ever to begin Chinese New Year. I know that Xiang must have so much excitement and joy in her heart to know that FINALLY it is her turn to have a permanent home. I wish you the speediest approvals ever - so that before you know it you will be in Guangdong meeting your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so happy to be able to watch this precious child come home to her wonderful family!!!! Sharon and I are friends and we are in Charleston!!!! SO happy for your sweet family and for precious Lorelei!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a happy and wonderful miracle that you have found each other. I think for your first blog post, you have described your feeling very well. I think it is interesting, once we let go of our image of our child, the real one comes through loud and clear. It is surprising what they are really like and how old is the right age for us. I am so glad that you are blogging your journey and am delighted to follow along.

    Linda, AnShuang's mom, now Shanna, home from Shantou, December 2010 and AnXiang's friend and foster sister

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so happy for you to adopt this amazing girl!! I did meet her and I was impressed by her!!

    I wille follow you on this great journey.

    Kaja

    ReplyDelete